This is an update from the Iowa Veterans Home
It’s hard to believe we have been navigating COVID-19 for nearly 5 months. We miss seeing you at IVH! We wanted to connect with you to let you know you are frequently on our minds. Residents continue to ask how you are and they let us know how much they miss your presence.
We continue to grow our “Phone a Vet” program. If you are interested in phoning a resident or two periodically please let us know and we will get you started.
Outdoor family visits have been taking place for roughly 3 weeks and are going well. Although social distancing is in place our staff continue to get residents outside and engaged in 1:1 activities. Residents and staff are handling ever changing CDC and WHO guidelines with patience and understanding. We continue to take things day by day and celebrate no residents in our COVID unit. Together we are making the best of the circumstances.
At this point we have no indication on when we will be able to have volunteers again. For updates regarding our current visitor status follow our Facebook page or call the switchboard. With restrictions in place we are still unable to open the canteen or have outside vendors come to IVH. For those of you who don’t frequent social media we have included the current needs list below. If you have any questions please reach out to Betsy at 641-758-9751.
Reach out to Kristy at 641-753-4489 or call the main switchboard 641-752-1501 with questions.
On behalf of all Iowa Veterans Home residents and staff we thank you for your continued support and wish you, your family, and your community health and peace.
All our best,
Betsy Randall & Kristy Kelley
- Non-food items
- Ball caps
- Hand held games
- Men’s & Women’s body wash
- Puzzles (esp. 200-300 large pieces)
- Art Supplies (paint, model cars, paint by number, leather kits, etc.)
- After shave
- Men’s cologne
- Activity books
- Adult coloring books
- DVDs & CD’s
- Small baggies
- Food Items
- Candy (individually packed)
- Little Debbie/Hostess or store brand snack cakes
- Peanut Butter sandwich crackers & Cheese sandwich crackers
- Party crackers
- Diabetic snacks (almonds, peanuts, beef sticks & cheese sticks)
- Sugar free cookies and snacks
- Single serving bags of chips
- Cans of nuts
- Prepackaged donuts
- Hershey bars
- Reese’s peanut butter cups
- 3 Musketeers
- Peppermint Patties
- Milky Way Midnight
- Mini Muffins
- A friendly reminder that all food donations must have the expiration date visible and be in sealed packages.