Memorial Day schedule and activities for Waverly:
Waverly’s Memorial Day activities for Monday, May 25, 2015, will start: with assembly for the parade at 10:00 a.m. and parade leaving the Civic Center area at 10:30 a.m. There will be the traditional ceremony honoring those whom lost their lives at sea in service to their country on the Bremer Ave. bridge. The parade will then continue on 1st St. SW to Harlington Cemetery for the formal activities. In case of rain, the activities will take place at WSR High School.
Waverly’s Veterans organizations ask for your support and attendance to ensure that we show honor and respect to those that have gone before us. AMVETS Post 79 is the scheduled organizer of this year’s activities, but all service personnel and supporter are invited to participate.
Volunteers are needed at the following dates and times:
– Thursday, May 21st, 9:00 a.m. – to place small flags on the graves of all veterans in Harlington Cemetery.
– 9:00 a.m. – to set up and install Flanders Field.
– Saturday, May 23rd, 9:00 a.m. – to put up the Avenue of Flags at Harlington Cemetery.
– Monday, May 25th, 2:00 p.m. – gather small flags from grave sites.
– 4:00 p.m. – removal of Avenue of Flags and Flanders Field.
The WAVP Canteen (Legion Hall) will be open at 12:00 noon on Memorial Day for lunch prepared by the AMVETS Auxiliary. Anyone interested in assisting with a dish, salad or dessert may contact Ted Lanske, 319-240-0734, but everyone is welcome to share lunch and friendship.
The WAVP Canteen will also be available after the flags are removed for a Hors d’oeuvre party (potluck) and everyone is welcome. Bring a dish to share and enjoy the afternoon.
Ted Lanske, AMVETS Post Commander